FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Transforming Education with AI: Introducing the Institute for Inclusive and Intelligent Technologies for Education (INVITE) INVITE.Research.University, June 3, 2023 – The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is proud to announce the launch of the Institute for Inclusive and Intelligent Technologies for Education (INVITE). This groundbreaking research project, funded by a $20 million grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF), aims to revolutionize education through the development of new AI-based technologies. INVITE brings together a team of researchers from leading institutions across the United States to improve educational outcomes for all students. INVITE’s mission is to develop AI-based tools that support noncognitive skills, create inclusive STEM learning environments, and build capacity for research, education, and broadening participation in AI and Education for All. By leveraging the power of AI, INVITE seeks to transform the way educational technologies interact with learners, providing tailored support and fostering the holistic development of students. Led by a team of renowned researchers, INVITE will focus on three key areas:
- Developing AI-based tools for noncognitive skill development: Noncognitive skills such as persistence, academic resilience, and collaboration are crucial for success in school and life. INVITE will create innovative AI-based tools that assist students in developing these skills. These tools will be personalized, engaging, and designed to meet the unique needs of each learner.
- Creating inclusive STEM learning environments: INVITE will design and implement inclusive STEM learning environments that cater to the diverse needs of all students. These environments will be welcoming, supportive, and provide safe spaces for students to learn and grow. By fostering an inclusive atmosphere, INVITE aims to maximize student engagement and achievement in STEM disciplines.
- Building capacity for research and education in AI and Education for All: INVITE recognizes the importance of research, education, and broadening participation in the field of AI and education. The project will offer opportunities for students, researchers, and educators to learn about AI and its potential to improve educational outcomes. INVITE will actively work to promote diversity and inclusivity in AI research and education, particularly among underrepresented groups.
- Lead Institution: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Funding: $20 million grant from the National Science Foundation
- Duration: Five years (2023-2028)
- Focus: Developing AI-based tools for noncognitive skill development, creating inclusive STEM learning environments, and building capacity for research and education in AI and Education for All
- Broader impacts: Enhancing educational outcomes for all students, promoting diversity and inclusivity in AI research and education